[hobby] Warhammer 40k - The Realm of Chaos, a custom Tzeench army display


I had signed up for the Wet Coast GT months prior, and my idea was to play my Necrons with their fresh, updated codex. However, the beginning of 2024 was rough for my Hobby projects as other areas of my life and work demanded more time and I could scarcely really play, let alone be on top of the meta, for Warhammer 40k.

With a fresh new Necron codex I'd be self-pressured into some level of performance indexing. I'd be chasing that positive W/L ratio and every opponent would look to my list as a "meta" list, meaning I better be at the top of my game to give them a good match too.

I decided to not deal with that at all and lift any pressure on the competitive aspects of the game. Simply take models I love. Not that I do not love my Necrons, I adore every little of the metallic buggers, but I felt like the current meta makes them have lots of strings attached. When time came up for me to send in my army roster, I simply filled with with my most "hobby" of all factions.

I took my pure Tzeench Daemons to the Grand Tournament (GT).

With the little time I had left from a little break from work I simply decided to put together a quick display board for the army. I had the perfect idea for something that would be visually striking and easy to achieve: Foam Rocks, backlit stuffing and a big printed display.

It worked, I was rewarded with a kick-ass looking board that drew many people to comment, take pictures and simply gaze at the work I've been slowly putting on these colorful daemons since 2014 and before. Every time someone would go "he has a book for a head!" when looking at Mukati it would cheer me up immensely, and it usually was followed by "WHAT IS THAT?!?" when they spotted the Ugoliant behind it.

Take a look at the results. If I can allow myself to say, I think it really brings to life what a Warp Rift teeming with Tzeench Daemons would look like.

You can also jump over and read about my experience playing the tournament. You can also check some other awesome armies people brought here.


















Construction shots


Shaping

Test fitting

Textured Modge Podge coat

Testing using screws to secure minis on board



Rattlecan spray base and drybrush

Finished painting the base to match the army bases

I wanted to be able to remove the "warp clouds" so I made a "keychain loop" with wires

Fastened each "finger" with LEDs




Test fit, I can use the open space at the back to place and remove the malleable "fingers"



After hot gluing pillow stuffing to the "fingers"

Added some more foam and painted the stuffing pink

LEDs off, you can see how the pink paint is applied to that it enhances the LED effect, looks just as good in person as this hue of "neon pink" is really pretty to look at on its own

Screws all over!

Marked unit placements for ease of setting up

I made a collage of many images to make my Warp, then gradient filtered it in Photoshop and had it printed as a banner in Staples. I glued it to a Dollarama foam base then cut the backdrop

I also found this perfect little picture frame that I could Tzeench-fy for the army name.

And finally, my list actually had Abutre using his rod of sorcery instead of the Sword, so I had to conjure it up real quick the day before the event.





 

Comments