Open-war deck alternative for small games

I love the concept of the open war deck. The fact I can just say "bring anything you want" and quickly have a game set-up is exactly the kind of thing I want when I'm teaching someone new or didn't have time to prepare a balanced list beforehand.

However I do see some flaws on the current iteration and, to make it worst for my intentions, the cards are made for a full 4x6 battlefield. My goals with my Battlefield in a Suitcase project is to grab a hold of two small 500pts armies and play Open War games as demonstration and instruction for begginers. I invited a friend over and we ran the first iteration of what I called the Begginer's Gauntlet, a series of 3 games where the best of 3 can claim the vicotry.


Needless to say it was a blast to play with but we did run into problems with some of the maps and missions drawn. With that in mind I put upon myself to redesign the Open War deck that I had to fit these new needs perfectly.


The result is an adapted deck with simplified missions and twists and deployment maps ready-made for balancing a match for 2 players using 500pts armies on a square battlefield roughly smaller than a 4x4. I tried to remove instances that could punish a single army (a penalty to psychich powers alone, for example) as well as introduce tradeoffs when a rule would benefic a single type of play (+2'' movement and +2 to charge, by itself, greatly helps melee armies alone).

Downloads

  • Print-friendly colored mission cards - You can download and print these for personal use, but I'd ask that if you do, make sure you also purchase a set of the original cards from GW as they were the base for this set and I'd like everyone to contribute to what, in my view, is a great product put out by them.

Sample cards

Deployment Cards (draw one)











Mission Cards (draw one)













Twist Cards (draw one)














Ruse Cards (deal one to the weakest army)







Sudden Death Cards (deal one to the army that has a major weaknesses, for instance, half or lower points)







Comments